- The text features offer strong coverage on diversity in health psychology, including international health research; the impact of issues such as ethnicity, age, and gender on health and research; and exploration of the increasing variety of approaches to health care.
- Numerous feature boxes discuss interesting contemporary topics such controversy about vaccination, health risks of watching televised sports, chocolate's impact on heart disease, benefits of a cognitively challenging job, and how sleep can affect weight.
- "Real World Profiles" engage student interest and show how course topics and chapter concepts can be relevant to situations students encounter in their everyday lives.
- A health quiz offers students the chance to test their health knowledge as it relates to their own lives.
- An extensive range of pedagogical features -- including self-checks, feature boxes, "Real World Profiles," study aids, applications, hands-on exercises, and activities -- are designed to appeal to students, help them fully understand health psychology, and make the text more interactive and interesting.
- A popular "Q & A" feature at the end of each chapter provides answers to organizing questions posed in the chapter opener, allowing students to revisit and reinforce what they have learned. A media resource section lists references and web links that students can use to expand their knowledge of important health psychology topics.
- Coverage of physiology and biology is integrated throughout the text rather than placed in a separate chapter. This makes it easier for students who lack a biology or science background to understand and appreciate how these subjects relate to health psychology.
Table of Contents
Part I: FOUNDATIONS OF HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY.
1. Introducing Health Psychology.
2. Conducting Health Research.
3. Seeking and Receiving Health Care.
4. Adhering to Healthy Behavior.
Part II: STRESS, PAIN, AND COPING.
5. Defining, Measuring, and Managing Stress.
6. Understanding Stress, Immunity, and Disease.
7. Understanding and Managing Pain.
8. Considering Alternative Approaches.
Part III: BEHAVIOR AND CHRONIC DISEASE.
9. Behavioral Factors in Cardiovascular Disease.
10. Behavioral Factors in Cancer.
11. Living With Chronic Illness.
Part IV: BEHAVIORAL HEALTH.
12. Smoking Tobacco.
13. Using Alcohol and Other Drugs.
14. Eating and Weight.
Part V: LOOKING TOWARD THE FUTURE.
16. Future Challenges.
- Stock: In Stock
- Model: 9789814834254
- Weight: 1.50kg
- Dimensions: 32.40cm x 23.70cm x 6.00cm
- ISBN: 9789814834254