Enhanced with new problems and applications, the Fourth Edition of CHEMISTRY FOR ENGINEERING STUDENTS provides a concise, thorough, and relevant introduction to chemistry that prepares students for further study in any engineering field. Updated with new conceptual understanding questions and applications specifically geared toward engineering students, the book emphasizes the connection between molecular properties and observable physical properties and the connections between chemistry and other subjects studied by engineering students, such as mathematics and physics.
- A problem-solving approach in example problems employs a “think first” approach to help studentsunderstand why a problem is solved the way it is solved and what that means conceptually.
- Chapter-opening "Insights Into" boxes include engineering applications that raise questions that are answered later in the chapter to help students understand the connections between chemistry concepts and engineering applications. These boxes are supported by end-of-chapter problems.
- "Focus on Problem Solving" sections at the end of each chapter support the book's problem-solving emphasis through a mix of multi-step quantitative and qualitative questions that require students to think outside the context of the information given and focus on the process of finding a solution to a problem, not the solution itself.
- “MathConnections” point out the mathematical underpinnings of several of the chemistry concepts presented in the text to help engineering students forge mental connections between other courses of study, such as Calculus.
- Additional end-of-chapter questions have been added to the OWLv2 course, giving students even more skill-building and problem-solving practice online.
- Up-to-date coverage reflects chemistry in the news and technological advances of special importance in the engineering field as related to chemistry.
- Conceptual Problems appear in an end-of-chapter section that emphasizes molecular scale visualization and other nonalgorithmic exercises.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Chemistry.
2. Atoms and Molecules.
3. Molecules, Moles, and Chemical Equations.
6. The Periodic Table and Atomic Structure.
7. Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure.
8. Molecules and Materials.
9. Energy and Chemistry.
10. Entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
11. Chemical Kinetics.
12. Chemical Equilibrium.
14. Nuclear Chemistry (Available through Custom Publishing).
- Stock: In Stock
- Model: 9789814846288
- Weight: 1.50kg
- Dimensions: 32.40cm x 23.70cm x 6.00cm
- ISBN: 9789814846288