- Adolescent development is covered in two chapters -- physical/cognitive development and socioemotional development -- to give each topic the coverage appropriate for most courses.
- Pedagogy in each section includes learning objectives, a vignette, typically one or more "Think About It" questions in the margin to encourage critical thinking, and end-of-section "Test Yourself" questions that reinforce key messages. For easy assignment and to help readers visually organize the material, major units within each chapter are numbered.
- The book's three special features -- "Spotlight on Research", "Real People", and "What Do You Think?" -- are a significant reason why this textbook is unique. To help students stay focused on the content, these features are woven seamlessly yet distinctively into the narrative rather than being boxed off from the flow of the chapters.
- Each "Spotlight on Research" feature highlights a specific study discussed in the text, helping students understand the science and scope of life-span development.
Table of Contents
1. The Study of Human Development.
Part I: PRENATAL DEVELOPMENT, INFANCY, AND EARLY CHILDHOOD.
2. Biological Foundations: Heredity, Prenatal Development, and Birth.
3. Tools for Exploring the World: Physical, Perceptual, and Motor Development.
4. The Emergence of Thought and Language: Cognitive Development in Infancy and Early Childhood.
5. Entering the Social World: Socioemotional Development in Infancy and Early Childhood.
Part II: SCHOOL-AGE CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS.
6. Off to School: Cognitive and Physical Development in Middle Childhood.
7. Expanding Social Horizons: Socioemotional Development in Middle Childhood.
8. Rites of Passage: Physical and Cognitive Development in Adolescence.
9. Moving Into the Adult Social World: Socioemotional Development in Adolescence.
Part III: YOUNG AND MIDDLE ADULTHOOD.
10. Becoming an Adult: Physical, Cognitive, and Personality Development in Young Adulthood.
11. Being With Others: Forming Relationships in Young and Middle Adulthood.
12. Work, Leisure, and Retirement.
13. Making It in Midlife: The Biopsychosocial Challenges of Middle Adulthood.
Part IV: LATE ADULTHOOD.
14. The Personal Context of Later Life: Physical, Cognitive, and Mental Health Issues.
15. Social Aspects of Later Life: Psychosocial, Retirement, Relationship, and Societal Issues.
16. The Final Passage: Dying and Bereavement.
- Stock: In Stock
- Model: 9789814846240
- Weight: 1.50kg
- Dimensions: 32.40cm x 23.70cm x 6.00cm
- ISBN: 9789814846240