- Chapter-beginning overviews explain chapter objectives and how the material fits into the overall scheme of social research.
- The text introduces students to the sensitivities around social research with a section on research ethics at the end of each chapter.
- Students prepare different sections of a proposal in each chapter while applying specific chapter concepts.
- “Research in Real Life” boxes provide examples of how the principles in the chapters have been applied in actual studies, while “Tips and Tools” boxes give practical advice in formulating and carrying out research projects. Topics include identifying the unit of analysis, reading and evaluating documents, and establishing rapport.
- Numerous examples (both real-world and hypothetical), abundant figures and tables, sample research tools, and the author's renowned sense of humor and compassion combine to make THE PRACTICE OF SOCIAL RESEARCH the most accessible text on social research methods available.
- End-of-chapter study aids include point-by-point chapter summaries, a list of key terms, review questions and exercises, and research proposal exercises.
Table of Contents
Part I: AN INTRODUCTION TO INQUIRY.
1. Human Inquiry and Science.
2. Paradigms, Theory, and Social Research.
3. The Ethics and Politics of Social Research.
Part II: THE STRUCTURING OF INQUIRY: QUANTITATIVE AND QUALITATIVE.
4. Research Design.
5. Conceptualization, Operationalization, and Measurement.
6. Indexes, Scales, and Typologies.
7. The Logic of Sampling.
Part III: MODES OF OPERATION: QUANTITATIVE AND QUALITATIVE.
9. Survey Research.
10. Qualitative Field Research.
11. Unobtrusive Research.
12. Evaluation Research.
Part IV: ANALYSIS OF DATA: QUANTITATIVE AND QUALITATIVE.
13. Qualitative Data Analysis.
14. Quantitative Data Analysis.
15. The Logic of Multivariate Analysis.
16. Statistical Analyses.
17. Reading and Writing Social Research.
A. Using the Library.
B. GSS Household Enumeration Questionnaire.
C. Random Numbers.
D. Distribution of Chi Square.
E. Normal Curve Areas.
F. Estimated Sampling Error.
- Stock: In Stock
- Model: 9789814844727
- Weight: 1.50kg
- Dimensions: 32.40cm x 23.70cm x 6.00cm
- ISBN: 9789814844727