- This text helps students master the basic skills of the counseling or psychotherapy session: listening, influencing, and integrating these skills into an effective session with individual and multicultural sensitivity.
- Students observe counseling and therapy in action through the many interview example transcripts throughout the book.
- Students are encouraged to analyze with considerable precision their own natural style of helping and, equally or perhaps more important, how their counseling style is received by clients.
- The popular five-stage interview structure -- relationship, story and strengths, goals, restory, and action -- integrates these concepts and helps students understand and utilize microskills more effectively.
- Empathy and empathic communication are presented as a centerpiece to the microskills framework, associated with each and every skill.
Table of Contents
Preface and Introduction.
Demystifying the Helping Process.
Section I: THE FOUNDATIONS OF COUNSELING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY. 1. Intentional Interviewing, Counseling, and Psychotherapy. 2. Ethics, Multicultural Competence, Positive Psychology, and Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes. 3. Attending Behavior and Empathy Skills. 4. Observation Skills. Section II: THE BASIC LISTENING SEQUENCE: HOW TO ORGANIZE A SESSION.
5. Questions: Opening Communication. 6. Encouraging, Paraphrasing, and Summarizing: Active Listening and Cognition. 7. Observing and Reflecting Feelings: The Heart of Empathic Understanding. 8. How to Conduct a Five-Stage Counseling Session Using Only Listening Skills.
Section III: FOCUSING AND EMPATHIC CONFRONTATION: NEUROSCIENCE, MEMORY, AND THE INFLUENCING SKILLS. 9. Focusing the Counseling Session: Contextualizing and Broadening the Story. 10. Empathic Confrontation and the Creative New: Identifying and Challenging Client Conflict.
Section IV: INTERPERSONAL INFLUENCING SKILLS FOR CREATIVE CHANGE.
11. Reflection of Meaning and Interpretation/Reframing: Helping Clients Restory Their Lives.
12. Action Skills for Building Resilience and Managing Stress: Self-Disclosure, Feedback, Logical Consequences, Directives/Instruction, and Psychoeducation.
Section V: SKILL INTEGRATION, THEORY INTO PRACTICE, AND DETERMINING PERSONAL STYLE.
13. Counseling Theory and Practice: How to Integrate the Microskills Approach with Multiple Approaches. 14. Skill Integration and Determining Personal Style.
Appendix I: The Ivey Taxonomy: Definitions of the Microskills and Strategies with Anticipated Client Response.
Appendix II: Ethics.
Appendix III: The Family Genogram.
Appendix IV: Counseling, Neuroscience/Neurobiology, and Microskills.
- Stock: In Stock
- Model: 9789814834704
- Weight: 1.50kg
- Dimensions: 32.40cm x 23.70cm x 6.00cm
- ISBN: 9789814834704