- FOOD ADDITIVE INFORMATION has been incorporated throughout the book.
- PROBLEMS AND CAUSES TABLES summarize the problems that may occur when preparing specific food products and describe the possible causes, providing students with a handy reference tool for deciphering "what went wrong."
- CHAPTER REVIEW QUESTIONS help students prepare for both their class exams and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics registration examination.
- CAREER CORNER features provide interviews with people working in the food and nutrition arena to help students on their career path.
- HOW AND WHY inserts answer the questions most frequently asked by students, sparking natural curiosity and exercising the mind’s ability to answer.
- CHEMIST’S CORNER features provide more advanced information on food chemistry for students and instructors who wish to further explore this topic, allowing flexibility in the level of food chemistry presented within the individual course.
- CALORIE CONTROL teaches students how to identify food sources of kcalories, how many daily kcalories are recommended, and how to practice portion control.
- KEY TERMS WITH A RUNNING GLOSSARY, boldfaced in the text, key terms are defined on the same page they appear on to allow for quick review of the essential vocabulary in each chapter. A glossary at the end of the book assembles all the key terms in one place.
Table of Contents
Part I: FOOD SCIENCE AND NUTRITION.
1. Food Selection
2. Food Evaluation.
3. Chemistry of Food Composition.
Part II: FOOD SERVICE.
4. Food Safety.
5. Food Preparation Basics.
6. Meal Management.
Part III: FOODS.
Protein-Meat, Poultry, Fish, Dairy, and Eggs.
9. Fish and Shellfish.
Phytochemicals-Vegetables, Fruits, Soups, and Salads.
13. Vegetables and Legumes.
15. Soups, Salads, and Gelatins.
Complex Carbohydrates-Cereals, Flour, and Breads.
16. Cereal Grains and Pastas.
17. Flours and Flour Mixtures.
18. Starches and Sauces.
19. Quick Breads.
20. Yeast Breads.
Desserts--Refined Carbohydrates and Fat.
22. Fats and Oils.
23. Cakes and Cookies.
24. Pies and Pastries.
26. Frozen Desserts.
Part IV: FOOD INDUSTRY.
28. Food Preservation.
29. Government Food Regulations.
30. Careers in Food and Nutrition.
- Stock: In Stock
- Model: 9789814834490
- Weight: 1.50kg
- Dimensions: 32.40cm x 23.70cm x 6.00cm
- ISBN: 9789814834490