- Current findings regarding the reliability and validity of DSM diagnostic criteria for specific disorders are discussed, with attention to issues, features, and disorders that are new to DSM-5.
- A comprehensive and integrative approach pays attention to advances in abnormal child and adolescent psychology and focuses on the child, not just the disorders.
- The book is organized into a logical four-part framework to facilitate understanding of the individual disorders and mastery of the material overall.
- First-person accounts and case histories help students grasp the real-world impact of disorders.
- "A Closer Look" boxes throughout the book draw students into the material and enrich each topic with engaging additional information. Examples include "What Are the Long-Term Criminal Consequences of Child Maltreatment?", "Common Fears in Infancy, Childhood, and Adolescence," and "Did Darwin Have a Panic Disorder?"
- The authors' in-depth coverage of the role of the normal developmental process in understanding each disorder, as well as their close attention to important sex and cultural differences in the expression, determinants, and outcomes of child and adolescent disorders, promote greater understanding.
- Video clips selected by the authors are listed in the Instructor's Manual and available as part of MindTap for Abnormal Child Psychology. These current, high-interest videos focus on the mental disorders affecting children.
- Disorders are organized around the DSM-5 criteria and summarized in DSM-5 tables to present the disorders' primary characteristics as accurately and clearly as possible.
Table of Contents
Part I: UNDERSTANDING ABNORMAL CHILD PSYCHOLOGY.
1. Introduction to Normal and Abnormal Behavior in Children and Adolescents.
2. Theories and Causes.
4. Assessment, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
Part II: NEURODEVELOPMENTAL DISORDERS.
5. Intellectual Disability (Intellectual Developmental Disorder).
6. Autism Spectrum Disorder and Childhood-Onset Schizophrenia.
7. Communication and Learning Disorders.
8. Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
Part III: BEHAVIORAL AND EMOTIONAL DISORDERS.
9. Conduct Problems.
10. Depressive and Bipolar Disorders.
11. Anxiety and Obsessive–Compulsive Disorders.
12. Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorders.
Part IV: PROBLEMS RELATED TO PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH.
13. Health-Related and Substance-Use Disorders.
14. Feeding and Eating Disorders.
- Stock: In Stock
- Model: 9789814834377
- Weight: 1.50kg
- Dimensions: 32.40cm x 23.70cm x 6.00cm
- ISBN: 9789814834377